Disappointing progress…

So, I have two legs glued up and curing. I went from blanks to legs, which is not a lot of progress.

Glued and clamped and curing. Copyright © 2018 Wayne and Elizabeth Saewyc

But I sure made a lot of sawdust for not a lot of progress.

The first step this morning was to mark out where the inside holes were going to be drilled, which would define the space to be removed to lighten the leg assemblies.

It was at this point I discovered that A) my just-purchased framing square was not actually square, and therefore B) all my careful layout of the day previous was also not square, resulting in legs which are not perfectly square either. I was not happy.

Since the damage was done, the cuts already made, the best I could do is continue on knowing that a few details are never going to quite match. So I marked out the centres for drilling the holes, but I forgot there was actually a little bit that happened before this, a new drill.

The hole-boring kit ready to go. Copyright © 2018 Wayne and Elizabeth Saewyc

When I got to the bigbox store this morning, fully intending to buy a cheaper corded drill, I discovered they are not really much cheaper. It was $90 (remember, these are Canadian dollars) for either of the two low-end units, and $120 for the Milwaukee. Yes, there were only three corded options. There were a dozen battery options, some of which were actually cheaper than the corded units.

Now the little circular saw I picked up yesterday is also a battery unit, from Milwaukee, using their higher voltage line of batteries. I could have gotten the cheaper Milwaukee with the lower voltage batteries for less than the corded drill, but I opted instead to get one which can share batteries (and chargers) with my circular saw so I am probably stuck with the Milwaukee line of products for a while. And yes, indeed, with the 5.0 battery in the magazine it ripped through those 16 holes in 3/4″ plywood as though it were playing.

A little jigsaw work to cut out the centres, then set up the new (correctly-sized) router pattern bit, and I was able to trim the spaces up a bit.

Now the plans call for the corners to be given a 1″ radius. Honestly, I could not figure out how to trim so little neatly; my attempts on scraps all ended up uneven. Finally I decided to ignore the plans, scratched a radius from one of the hole punchings, and sanded down to the line. It worked well enough, so I used that one corner as a pattern on one of the legs, shaping the corners with the router.  That worked well enough, too, so I used that leg as the pattern for the other three legs.

I should point out that I am making a working surface. So what working surface am I using to make another? Glad you asked:

My ‘strong back’ for the moment. Copyright © Wayne and Elizabeth Saewyc

This is a pair of Stanley Fatmax folding sawhorses. I have to admit I drove 60-some miles to pick up the pair of them. There are other versions of plastic folding sawhorses, with cutouts for 2x boards to serve as the strongbacks, but these are usually the same price, are a bit lighter because of the aluminum legs, and those legs have a short amount of extension allowing them to adjust the height slightly (say, to try to get close to the table saw outfeed height…)

It is a smallish working surface; even putting the two legs side-by-side results in them hanging over on each end. Juggling things onto and off of the surface actually takes longer than the step being done while they are there.

Tomorrow’s tasks are first to cut the slots on the legs. Then cut the stretchers (two lengths) and the gussets (which are going to require a tricky 80° cut on each.) The stretchers require a 1.5″ slot, so I will need to go purchase another hole saw. They will also require a 2×4, which will need a dado cut as well. So a morning run to the lumber yard for 3 studs and a hole saw, then make sawdust, and hopefully more gluing and assembly.