About 1916, give or take 5 years, Mary Alnora (Dixson) Davis[G] took her daughters to Moberly to visit her siblings, their aunts and uncles.
The gentleman and his wife on the left side of the photo are Henry[G] and Mamie[G] Dixson. Mamie came from an important family in the city; her mother’s maiden name was Moberly, and it is likely Mamie’s grandfather was Colonel William E. Moberly, the first president of the Chariton and Randolph County railroads. Henry was the third son of Isaac Elliot[G] and Alice Anna (Shaw)[G] Dixson and a successful grocer in the city.
They are standing in front of the Moberly Carnegie Library, which was completed in 1904 and is still in use today[R]. A 2013 photo from Commons.Wikimedia.Org shows it to still be a graceful building, more elegant than the attached “Little Dixie” expansion building, well-maintained but also looking just a bit shabby from age.
Notes on the back of the photo were likely added by Mary Alnora sometime after 1940.